Friday, July 8, 2022

Helping Emerging Readers

Friday, July 8, 2022, 9am-1pm, Youth Services


Today I worked the Youth Services desk and had some really great interactions with patrons. I now have some regulars who have visited two Fridays in a row, and it is incredible to know that they came looking for me. I also helped a mom with a daughter going into 5th grade but only reading at a 2nd-grade level. She wanted some ideas for books that her daughter could read that would be at her level but wouldn't make her feel like she was reading kiddie books. Thankfully, due to my experience at the school library, I could give the mom recommendations for various series that her daughter would be interested in but wouldn't make her feel out of place with her peers. I gave her the list that his curated by the librarians for each grade level. I showed her the 2nd and 3rd-grade lists and pointed out the books that would also appeal to an older student. I also showed her our Wonderbooks and Playaways. The Wonderbooks would be a great resource because they look just like regular books but have the audio feature, so the reader can follow along in the book. 

One of the books I was asked to help with today stumped me. The Call Number was listed as SMP- J TAR. I had not seen that call number before. I figured out it was a Playaway, but I still didn't know what the SMP stood for. Finally, I learned that it stands for Sound Media Player. 

Wonderbooks are great for reluctant and emerging readers.




Sara GandarĂ­a-Escamilla 
Geeta Halley, Site Supervisor 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Final Reflections of a Practicum

Thursday, August 4th, 2020, Final Wrap Up On my Last Day at Round Rock Public Library When I first started the program, my advisor mentioned...