Tuesday, June 28, 2022, 9am-1pm, Adult Services
Today I worked at the Adult Services Reference Desk. I started the morning by changing the Pride display to an Animal Books Display. One of the Take and Make projects that one of the librarians is putting together is a "Paint Your Pet" project. The book display has books with the theme of fiction books that feature animals as pets. I learned how to modify where the book is located in the ILS system. A patron looking for a book on the display will know that it is not on the shelf but on a special display.
I also helped several patrons find books, renew their library cards, book a study room, and put books on hold. One of the most fulfilling patron interactions was with a teenage sister and her tween brother. While helping her locate the books she was looking for, I could tell that the brother wanted a book he had seen but was too shy to ask me for help. On a previous trip to the library, he had seen a book on display about pirates. After narrowing down our search in the catalog, we could locate the book he wanted and find it on the shelf. He was so excited to see it that he did a little dance of joy. They were both very grateful for the help I could provide them.
While we weren't busy with patrons, Beth and I talked about how books are shelved in different libraries. We discussed the advantages and disadvantages of genre-fying specific categories of books in fiction. The RRPL separates the genres of romance, mystery, and science fiction separate from other titles of fiction.
![]() |
| Animal Book Display that I put up. |
Sara GandarĂa-Escamilla Geeta Halley, Site Supervisor Practicum Schedule

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.