Friday, June 24, 2022

The Power of a Library Card

 Friday, June 24, 2022, 10am- 1pm, Youth Services.

A mom and son have been spending hours in the library since yesterday. They read books, use the computers, and sign up for the Summer Reading Program. Yesterday, I noticed that the young boy was a good reader and was choosing short books to get his "points" faster. Today I challenged him to pick up some longer books. I pointed out to him that each square on his log is worth 15 minutes of reading, so he could pick up a longer book and record his "points" in the 15-minute blocks. Both he and his mom were grateful for that information. Between yesterday and today, I learned a lot about this family. It amazes me how much people will share with you if you listen. It is a testament to how much people sometimes need human connection and just need someone to listen to them. I helped them get all the documents that they needed so that they could get their library card. The little boy, who is seven, was so excited to be getting his very own card so he could check out his own books and be able to use the computers without needing a guest pass. 

Today I introduced a grateful family to our Wonderbook collection. This time it was a mom who has a son who really likes graphic novels and is non-verbal. She said he likes looking at the pictures and enjoys longer texts vs. picture books. The Wonderbook collection is an excellent resource because he can look at the images in a physical book while the device reads to him. They need to bring proof of address to get their library card, but knowing that we had the Wonderbook resource made her feel the urgency to return to the library soon with the information she needs to get her library card. 


A Library Card from the Round Rock Public Library


Sara Gandaría-Escamilla Geeta Halley, Site Supervisor Practicum Schedule 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Final Reflections of a Practicum

Thursday, August 4th, 2020, Final Wrap Up On my Last Day at Round Rock Public Library When I first started the program, my advisor mentioned...