Thursday, June 23, 2022

Benefits of Play Away

Thursday, June 23, 2022, 5pm-9pm, Youth Services

My day was a lot like other days in that I was helping patrons find books and helping them get on the computer. However, one particular patron experience stands out. A mom came in this evening needing help finding our audiobooks. She commented that her child is blind, and loves to read. I showed her the Playaway section and the books on CD section. She was ecstatic to learn about the format and peruse the collection. While books with CDs are great options, she pointed out that they aren't very portable because you need to have a CD player close by. The Playaway, being such a small device, makes listening to a book portable and accessible for her son. I enjoy being able to help patrons discover a resource that is so beneficial to them and that makes them so grateful for the service I provide.

Many people ask me what is different between a school library and the public library. One of the most significant differences is that kids have more autonomy in a school library to make reading choices for themselves. I see many parents limiting types of books like graphic novels or books that they deem too "easy" for the child. In a school library, kids have more of an opportunity to explore and read the books they enjoy reading. It is essential to foster this joy in reading, which can only be done by giving kids the freedom of choice.

A section of Playaway books that are available at RRPL.


Sara GandarĂ­a-Escamilla Geeta Halley, Site Supervisor Practicum Schedule 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Final Reflections of a Practicum

Thursday, August 4th, 2020, Final Wrap Up On my Last Day at Round Rock Public Library When I first started the program, my advisor mentioned...