Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Finding a Mentor

Wednesday, July 27, 2022, 9am-1pm, Youth Services

Today went by really fast. There were several back to back story/play times today, so we had lots of visitors in the library today. I helped a Dad find aviation books for a summer camp that he is doing. He would have his kids vet the books he found to see if they would be books that his campers would enjoy. I also helped some regulars find Disney Princess books.  They were elated when I was able to pull a stack of books from the back of the circulation area that had not been shelved yet. 

I also met with Geeta today about my Library Card Sign Up month slogans. She really liked all my ideas and we just refined a few things. She gave me some ideas for images that I can use in the social media posts. We agreed to make the giveways activity packs and she is purchasing a few items that I suggested that we could put in the  bags to intice participation. This project will exceed my practicum time, but she said it I should turn in my volunteer hours. 

We also had a very good conversation about my future career goals. She advised me not to rush into anything and to wait for the perfect position. She told me it was okay to priortize my family. Coming so close to the end of the program I have felt an urgency to figure out what is next. It was refreshing to hear someone tell me that I don't have to rush into anything. I really think that Geeta would make a wonderful mentor for me as I embark in my carreer as a librarian. 

Getting Started on the Visuals for the Social Media Campaign





Sara GandarĂ­a-Escamilla 
Geeta Halley, Site Supervisor 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Final Reflections of a Practicum

Thursday, August 4th, 2020, Final Wrap Up On my Last Day at Round Rock Public Library When I first started the program, my advisor mentioned...