Thursday, July 22, 2022, 5pm-9pm, Youth Services
Today was one of the quietest Thursdays I have worked in the library. Not having many people come in allowed me to do more with the Magic Tree House inventory project. While doing this project, I kept seeing these notes that read lam and bdg. I learned that lam is for a paperback back with a protective laminate cover. Bdg means that the book has been bound into a hardcover book. Theresa says she buys it as a paperback, and they bind it into a hardcover for a little bit more in cost. She said it is more cost-effective to do this than to buy library-bound books. She wasn't exactly sure how they do it, but upon investigation, Theresa and I figured out how to tell if a book is originally a hardcover or has received this special binding. The key is the cover. A book that originates as a hardcover has the cover image edge to edge. The ones that have the binding have covers that look like they have been digitally printed onto the book. It was really interesting to learn about this process and way of buying books/
I started off my shift with a meeting with Geeta and Andrea. Andrea, one of the Youth Services Librarians, received a grant to do programming with planting native plants that are good for pollinators. Geeta and I were planning the library seed catalog launch with many similar elements. Since that project won't happen until October, Geeta decided to give me a different project I can work on before my practicum ends next week. We decided that I would work on a social media campaign for Library Card Sign-up Month in September. I will create 4-5 digital posts to engage patrons and market signing up for a library card. She gave me some leftover prizes from last year that I can use as giveaways. Geeta was grateful for my willingness to pivot to a new project so close to the end of my time at the library.
![]() |
| Prizes for Library Card Sign-Up Month |
Geeta Halley, Site Supervisor

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.