Thursday, June 30, 2022

Starting on a New Project

Thursday, June 30th, 2022, 4pm-9pm, Youth Services    

Today the library had two magic shows that brought in quite a few people who needed assistance with reader's advisory. I helped one particular family, and the mom lamented that one of her children reads voraciously and widely while the other only reads graphic novels. I told her that I understood her frustration, but I shared what I had learned from my graphic novels class about the format's benefits. Since she wants her child to read to grow her vocabulary, I showed her some of the non-fiction graphic novel choices. She was encouraged by our conversation and by those choices.

I finished my project of assessing the Vox titles for collection development, and I started on a new project involving the puppet collection. RRPL has a good-sized collection of puppets for patrons to borrow. My new project is to go through the online catalog from Folkmanis Puppets to determine which puppets the library should add to the collection. I created a spreadsheet to capture the pertinent information. First, the puppet has to fit specific size criteria to fit into the bags that the library uses to house the puppets. Once I determine the correct size, I check the RRPL ILS system to see if the library owns the puppet. If they own it, I notate how well it circulates so that the Youth Services Manager can determine if she needs to purchase another one. The puppets circulate well, and it is interesting to see what the library already owns and what new ones they can buy. 
 
Split Screen of the puppet selection and the spreadsheet to record info needed.



Sara Gandaría-Escamilla 
Geeta Halley, Site Supervisor 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Final Reflections of a Practicum

Thursday, August 4th, 2020, Final Wrap Up On my Last Day at Round Rock Public Library When I first started the program, my advisor mentioned...