Wednesday, June 15, 2022, 9am-1pm
Today was my first day working at the children's services desk. It was a very different experience than working upstairs in adult services. The Children's Services desk is much busier and has a very different vibe. The children's services reference desk gets many more questions than the adult services desk. From needing help finding a book, helping with the computer, and assisting patrons with a library scavenger hunt, there is a lot more activity on the first floor.
The day started with a tour of the shelves and explaining the children's services layout. The library checks out various STEAM robots, so there was information that I needed to learn in regards to this area of the library. I worked with two different people at the services desk. I received my training from Amy German, the Tween Services Librarian, and Theresa Faris, the Youth Services Manager.
Theresa has asked me to work through a project for her. I will be going through a list of VoxBooks to assess which ones the library should purchase. I was not able to start the project today, but she explained the various systems in place that I will need to complete the project. I will first need to make sure that the library does not own a Playaway version of the title, and then I will need to look at reviews of the title to assess the priority of including it in the to-buy list. The library uses Ingram/Ipage as its vendor, which I will use to evaluate the titles. While course work has taught me how to look at reviews, I learned a lot more from Theresa today. For example, I learned that Booklist only publishes reviews for books they recommend, while others may list reviews of all books, even those they are not recommending. I also learned about "Starred Reviews." This was a new term for me, and I learned that it means that the publication has starred a review for having an exceptional title. Today taught me why the practicum experience is so valuable because you get to have hands-on experience doing what librarians do daily.
![]() |
| Children's Desk at Round Rock Public Library |
Sara Gandaría-Escamilla Geeta Halley, Site Supervisor Practicum Schedule

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.