Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Expanding Customer Service Skills

Tuesday, June 14, 2022, 9am-1pm.

  The first part of the day started with Ed, the Adult Services Manager, training me on more features of the ILS system. We went through several scenarios that may come up at the Adult Services desk that require the ILS system. One of the tasks he trained me on was how to put a book on hold for a patron. That training came in handy when a patron came to the desk and asked for a book to be placed on hold. She is a mystery fan, and I was able to locate her favorite author's newest book on the shelf, and then I was able to put two books on hold for her that were not currently available. She was an elderly woman and told me about her passion for prolific mystery writers. She shared that she and her friends at her assisted living facility gather every afternoon to discuss their reading titles. Her daughter commented that you would never guess that the senior population had such a love for the gory mysteries that they read.

  I did some more organizing on the shelves today, and one task I gave myself was to group an author's series of books together. I noticed that several authors have written several different series. At my school library job, I am always looking for ways to make it easier for students to locate the books they seek, so I thought organizing like series together would make it easier for patrons to find them.

 Since all of the "Take and Make" packets had been distributed, I added hiking books to the display where the packets had previously been. The display has leftover maps of the Round Rock Trails, so I added the hiking books for inspiration. I learned how to modify the book's location in the ILS system to a display so that a patron looking in the catalog would know where to find the book.

 

Display where I added hiking books.


Sara Gandaría-Escamilla Geeta Halley, Site Supervisor Practicum Schedule

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Final Reflections of a Practicum

Thursday, August 4th, 2020, Final Wrap Up On my Last Day at Round Rock Public Library When I first started the program, my advisor mentioned...