Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 10am-1pm
The Round Rock Public Library is open seven days a week. Closing on a Monday for a federal holiday results in a very busy Tuesday. I first noticed this when I walked into the building, and Geeta, the assistant library director, was hard at work at the circulation desk. When I commented that I was surprised to see her there, she commented that she had to send everyone to circulation. A day off means they were behind checking in books. I can only imagine what it is like back there after two-day closures during the holidays.
Tuesdays are the days I spend upstairs in Adult Services. Even there, it was busier than usual. Of course, there were the standard printing and study room reservation questions. Since we were busier today, I helped people on my own instead of just shadowing others. I helped patrons with various tasks, from using the scanner to the fax machine and helping them locate books on the shelves. I also learned how to renew patrons' library cards. At RRPL, a library card has to be renewed every two years. It allows the library to update personal information on a patron's account.
I learned about two new services today. First of all, I never realized that past issues of magazines could be checked out from the library. I thought all copies were for library use only. I also learned that the library has CD-ROMs that patrons can borrow to use on the library's computers.
I also learned today that patrons must provide their batteries and headphones for the Playaways. There were issues with patrons removing batteries to keep before they returned the Playaway, and it became costly for the library to replace. I discussed with Beth, the librarian I was working with today, how this could potentially affect access to this format because not all patrons have access to batteries or headphones. She stated that patrons could ask for some if they couldn't afford to provide them. I can't help but wonder how many patrons would even think to ask for batteries and headphones and instead don't utilize the Playaway format.
The nice thing about being so busy in adult services today was that I learned a lot from patrons' questions. A lot of what I learn is on-demand as patrons need assistance.
Sara Gandaría-Escamilla Geeta Halley, Site Supervisor Practicum Schedule

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.